The QCIP Foundations of Research Involving Humans course is an in-class training program primarily targeted to new Principal Investigators, Clinical Research Fellows, and Clinical Fellows who conduct research involving humans. The program includes a three-day foundations course, and is complemented by future advancement courses, which delve deeper into specific topics and applications of Good Clinical Practice principles.
A certificate will be provided upon completion of the three-day foundations course, and upon completion of each advancement course. Learners who have completed all QCIP courses will also receive a Program Certificate.
QCIP builds on the experiences of our learners through a case-based approach. This provides opportunities for learners to reflect on their current practice in clinical research conduct, develop and enhance knowledge of standards, identify challenges and barriers to the research process, and integrate a risk-mitigation approach to the conduct of research involving humans.
By using different learning formats and techniques, QCIP learners will be able to:
- Assess and apply the evolving principles and practices of research ethics to the planning and conduct of research involving humans.
- Identify the roles of Sponsors & Principal Investigators and apply regulatory requirements and external standards governing the Responsible Conduct of Research, and Good Clinical Practices.
- Appraise relevant case studies and understand key concepts regarding research protocol development, risk identification, participant safety reporting, and protecting the privacy and confidentiality of research participants.
- Recognize & prioritize potential challenges & barriers to the application of best practices in research.
- Develop strategies to mitigate bias, maintain data quality, and ensure adequate supervision and oversight throughout the planning, conduct, recording, and reporting of research.
What others thought about the program:
“The program is well-planned with excellent small group learning and great discussions on conducting quality research. It's a great opportunity not only to learn and share experiences about research ethics and GCP but also to create important professional connections…I highly recommend my colleagues attend.” - Evelyn, Clinical Fellow
“The program’s activities and discussions really helped me work through different challenges in clinical research. The program provided an international context to best practice that I can immediately apply to my work.” - Sojin, International Learner
“The facilitators did an excellent job at making the program engaging and I actually found myself enjoying learning about the intricacies of various research processes. Overall, I would highly recommend this program to anyone intending to undertake research at UHN.” - Karim, Physician & New Investigator
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER FOR AN UPCOMING SESSION, PLEASE CONTACT THE QCIP TEAM AT QCIP@UHNRESEARCH.CA